Visnetic 4.4.3.1 issues/questions

Forum for support for the Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Visnetic 4.4.3.1 issues/questions

Postby saubrey » Dec 08 03 7:04 pm

I'm using Wingate 5.07 and Visnetic 4.4.3.1. Please don't suggest updating to 5.2...5.2 is buggy regarding POP3 proxy. I will upgrade when it becomes stable. Since 5.1 & 5.2 are buggy I can't upgade to the new Kapernsick AV either.

1. GateFilter's AV Plug-in About tab shows an incorrect date for Last Update of AV definitions. It shows 2003/12/06 when it should be 2003/12/08. I've updated AV definitions using Visnetic update scheduler. The AV Engine tab shows Last update as 2003/12/8...which is correct. Is Wingate using the 2003/12/06 definitions or the 2003/12/08 definitions? How do I get Wingate to use the most up-to-date AV definitions?

2. Check box Scanning Options on Gatefilter's AV Plug-in Options tab sometimes don't stick. Seemingly at random times all Scanning Options become un-checked. This is disconcerting because when they are unchecked, no AV scanning will occur.

Any help is appreciated.
saubrey
WinGate Master

Postby erwin » Dec 09 03 8:36 am

Hi

Sorry but can you explain exactly which plugin is reading the date incorrectly GateFilter AV? Are you talking about Kaspersky Antivirus for WinGate or Visnetic AV.

If you are meaning the Kaspersky Antivirus Plugin, you should see two system messages in Gatekeeper informing you of an KAV update initiated and KAV update complete. In the earlier version of Kaspersky AV the updated virus database wouldnt show up until the WinGate engine was restarted, however this gui glitch has been fixed in the the latest version of Kaspersky Antivirus for WinGate plugin.

As for the unsticking of the scanning check box, I will take a look and see if this can be reproduced

Regards
Erwin
erwin
Qbik Staff

Postby saubrey » Dec 09 03 9:43 am

I'm using Wingate 5.07 and Visnetic 4.4.3.1. The Visnetic 4.4.3.1 plug-in in Wingate 5.07 shows the incorrect AV update date.
saubrey
WinGate Master

Postby erwin » Dec 10 03 1:19 pm

Hi Saubrey

Unfortunately without the possibility of an upgrade to 5.2 I cant suggest for you use Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate.

When WinGate 5.0.7 was released, Deerfield Visnetic AV was obviously at an earlier version. As this date glitch is seen with the latest Visnetic AV 4.4.3 then the problem could possibly lie with changes Deerfield may have made to the plugin.

As for the unsticking of the check box in the options tab, I was unable to repro this on the latest WinGate, with either KAV or Visnetic AV installed . Was there anything different that you were doing on the machine, with WinGate when you discover this happens?

Regards
Erwin
erwin
Qbik Staff

Postby saubrey » Jan 16 04 6:36 pm

I have upgraded to 5.2.2 build 892. I am still using Visnetic 4.3.3. I am still having the same problems from a month ago.
1. The Visnetic Update Scheduler shows AV update of Jan 15, 2004, but Wingate's AV plug-in still shows the most recent AV update of Jan 13. Is Wingate using the latest updates or not? If I stop, then restart Wingate, Wingate's AV plug-in does correctly show Jan 15 as the most recent update.

2. Every once in a while, I have not determined a pattern, when I open Wingate's AV plug-in to the Options tab, all the Scanning Options check boxes are un-checked. When they mysteriously become unchecked, I assume that Wingate is not performing any AV scanning.

3. I would prefer to run Kapersky than Visnetic. A while back Adrian said he would look into pro-rating the remaining time on our Visnetic licenese to Kapersky. I have approx 8 months remaining on my Visnetic license. Has any progress been made on this front?

Thanks,

Steve
saubrey
WinGate Master

Postby Pascal » Jan 16 04 10:47 pm

saubrey wrote:Is Wingate using the latest updates or not? If I stop, then restart Wingate, Wingate's AV plug-in does correctly show Jan 15 as the most recent update.

The AV engine will automatically reload the databases. Our shim layer to the AV engine reads that information every time an interface is created (E.g. when a WWW session requests a scan OR when an email is scanned, etc.) The information is not dynamically sent to GateKeeper, however. You need to log off and log back onto GateKeeper to get that refreshed. So there are two conditions to get it to display correctly. We'll have that display issue resolved for version 6, but the current plugin architecture does not make it possible.

saubrey wrote:3. I would prefer to run Kapersky than Visnetic. A while back Adrian said he would look into pro-rating the remaining time on our Visnetic licenese to Kapersky. I have approx 8 months remaining on my Visnetic license. Has any progress been made on this front?

I don't know about pro-rating. There is a cross-grade option, which saves you approximately 30% on an annual license fee. You can check the Purchase page for more info on that.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby saubrey » Jan 17 04 6:20 am

Logging off/on to Gatekeeper does not cause the Gatekeeper plug-in to update its last AV update date--at least not for me. Only stopping/starting the Wingate engine does. That's why I'm concerned that Wingate is not using the most recent AV updates. How can I determine if Wingate is using the latest?

What about my question #2. I know a month ago that you could not reproduce the problem that I am seeing with Gatekeeper's AV Scanning options becoming unchecked. But I am still seeing that mysterious behavior. What can I do to help you find/fix this issue?
saubrey
WinGate Master

Postby Pascal » Jan 17 04 6:52 am

saubrey wrote:Logging off/on to Gatekeeper does not cause the Gatekeeper plug-in to update its last AV update date--at least not for me. Only stopping/starting the Wingate engine does. That's why I'm concerned that Wingate is not using the most recent AV updates. How can I determine if Wingate is using the latest?

I know we set the appropriate flags and I know that Erwin checked and double checked this when we had a request about this before. I'm away on leave next week, but as soon as I get back I'll check through the code. The creation of a new interface is the key though - that updates the information inside our shim layer.

saubrey wrote:What about my question #2. I know a month ago that you could not reproduce the problem that I am seeing with Gatekeeper's AV Scanning options becoming unchecked. But I am still seeing that mysterious behavior. What can I do to help you find/fix this issue?

That used to be a problem if you opened the configuration, switched to the Options tab and then switched to a different tab before clicking [OK]. I thought we had fixed that (We had the same problem in Kaspersky). What you can try is to run WGSetup.exe /X and retrieve a file called "PluginDKAV.dll" from it. Verify if the version you have installed matches that one - if it doesn't, replace with the one from the Installer.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Return to Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate