PureSight license key update timeout

Forum for support for the PureSight for WinGate content filtering plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

PureSight license key update timeout

Postby phemond » Feb 25 04 5:46 pm

I am trying to update my license key for PureSight now that my GateFilter key expired last month.

After purchasing and installing PureSight and entering the Key # info the "Restart
Engine" popup box appeared and stated "engine shutting down..." but I
receive a warning "Wingate engine has taken too long to shutdown". I
select "OK" but that doesn't update the Puresight License expiration
date. I have tried several times to update the licence from the help
dropdown menu with the same results. I have powered down and rebooted
the PC with the same results.

Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated?

I am fustrated with Qbik for not offering free support for a newly purchased product!
phemond

Postby Pascal » Feb 26 04 7:45 am

Qbik does provide free support. It is available through these forums, or by contacting http://support.qbik.com/.

What Operating System are you using ? It's curious that there is such a long time-out on the WinGate Engine shutting down - what version of WinGate are you running ?

We have three options to try and solve this:

1. Figure out why WinGate takes so long to shutdown
2. Update the license through a .WGL file (Similar to what Deerfield used to provide)
3. Update the license manually
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby phemond » Feb 26 04 9:34 am

I am running WinGate Version 5.2.2 on a Dell 300MHZ PC with Windows 95.
phemond

Postby Pascal » Feb 26 04 9:48 am

phemond wrote:I am running WinGate Version 5.2.2 on a Dell 300MHZ PC with Windows 95.

Okay, let's go with option 2 as a start:

Create a new text document through notepad. In the text, add:

License Name: <LICENSEE>

where <KEY> is the GFXXXXXXXXX key that was supplied to you and <LICENSEE> is the license name. (The name it was registered under)

Save the file as "License.wgl". Then, when you double click that file it should import it into WinGate. It goes through another mechanism, which might help get past the problem.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby phemond » Feb 26 04 4:58 pm

Thank you, that worked after I deleted the two entries for License0 (PureSight) and License1 (GateFilter). Now the expiration date is correct 2005.
So with that problem behind me, I tried to verify the operation of the software by going to some sights that should have been blocked. I have entered url's containing "sex" to be blocked but it doesn't appear to work. I could go to www.sex.com and don't know why. This worked quite well with GateFilter. Any help would be appreciated. As well, other sights that should have been blocked were not.
phemond

Postby Pascal » Feb 26 04 11:51 pm

The first thing to check when you're flicking over is that the Plugin is still listed against you services. So, open the WWW Proxy and check that PureSight is listed there. (Under Plugins). If it is not, click [Rebuild] to regenerate the list of plugins.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby phemond » Feb 28 04 2:08 pm

Thank you for the support. PureSight was listed within the plugins for WWW Proxy Server.
After going to 'Option','Plugins ' and ' PureSight for WinGate' I found no users listed for the plugin. I added all users and had to reboot the PC for the changes to be applied.

When I change the filtering level it doesn't always seem to be applied. After a reboot it appears to work. I vote for going back to GateFilter your previous product. Is it still available through you or someone else? It was a more stable/consistent product.

Thanks Again,
Paul
phemond

Return to PureSight for WinGate