How to restrict all mail sites except one

Forum for support for the PureSight for WinGate content filtering plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

How to restrict all mail sites except one

Postby Hassan » Mar 17 04 10:10 pm

Hi

I want to restrict all mail sites like hotmail, yahoo, etc. except webmail.cyber.net.pk.

I have set *mail* filter in the WWW Proxy Server 's Ban List. it stopped all the mail sites, but i am unable to allow only one mail site (i.e webmail.cyber.net.pk). I installed PureSite this morning and find its usefull but its working only if i give the allow/ban site specifically, unlike the Ban List tab in www proxy server. I cant put all the webmail sites one by one in ban list and leaving only one available for me §:)

Please help me with this problem.

Regards
Hassan Agha
Hassan

Postby Pascal » Mar 17 04 11:42 pm

Puresight works similar to the WWW Proxy ban list. If you put "mail" without the "" or * it acts in the same way as *mail* would in the WWW proxy's ban list.

ANY URL containing the word "mail" will then be blocked.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby Hassan » Mar 18 04 12:18 am

Pascal wrote:Puresight works similar to the WWW Proxy ban list. If you put "mail" without the "" or * it acts in the same way as *mail* would in the WWW proxy's ban list.

ANY URL containing the word "mail" will then be blocked.

Dear Pascal

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have tried with the setiings you have asked me to do, but it also blocks the mail site i want the clients to use i.e webmail.cyber.net.pk/ as the word "mail" also come in it (https://webmail.cyber.net.pk/cgi-bin/cwmail.cgi" it blocks it too even when i am allowing it in the Puresite, It displays the error mesage 403 Forbiden access.
Please tell me what to do to resolve this problem.

Thank you.
Hassan Agha
Hassan

Postby Pascal » Mar 18 04 12:25 am

Two things.

1. Make sure that sites you definately want to allow (That contain mail too) have a slightly longer description in the allow list in PureSight. This then overrides a ban list entry. (So add webmail.cyber.net in the allow list)

2. Make sure that your ban list in WinGate has been cleared ...
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby Hassan » Mar 18 04 12:47 am

Pascal wrote:Two things.

1. Make sure that sites you definately want to allow (That contain mail too) have a slightly longer description in the allow list in PureSight. This then overrides a ban list entry. (So add webmail.cyber.net in the allow list)

2. Make sure that your ban list in WinGate has been cleared ...

okey i have cleared the banlist in the Wingate and i have added "mail" in the puresite and added *webmail.cyber.net.pk/cgi-bin/cwmail.cgi* in the allow list., now the site webmail.cyber.net.pk is opening and alo everyother mail site, this time blocking is not taking place.
[/img]
Hassan

Return to PureSight for WinGate