Ban Syntax Part Deux

Forum for support for the PureSight for WinGate content filtering plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Ban Syntax Part Deux

Postby mcb » Jun 22 05 8:50 am

In my last thread you guys delineated the best syntax for banning. That did show a marked improvement. But i have a problem that is persisting. Take for example, i found that this site was making it past the filter. http://www.freedanniashe.com/. So i proceeded to block it by just adding "freedanniashe" to the ban list. It will block most things on that site. But i found that things like this link still make it thru - http://www.freedanniashe.com/gvideos/lapdance.wmv. So, the LAN clients are still able to dl certain jpg's and video files, even when the banned name exists in the URL.

What am i missing? Your help would be appreciated.

Note: It did appear that the Puresight addon for the www proxy was enabled and in order. And as i said the filter does work most of the time.

Matt
mcb

Postby mcb » Jun 22 05 8:52 am

I apologize that i didn't think disable the URL's in my post. But hey we are professional and responsible adults in these forums.

matt
mcb

Postby MattP » Jun 22 05 12:46 pm

Hi Matt,

I've just tested this here and it did block the lapdance page request. It has to get to 75% before it can scan it though, so it looks like it's going to go through, then when it reaches the mark it stops.

I assume that's not happening for you? Make sure that the page you're requesting isn't already in the cache, can you do a ctrl-F5 on that page and see if it still lets it through?

Thanks,
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby mcb » Jun 23 05 8:16 am

Hey MattP

I tried this link h**p://www.freedanniashe.com/gvideos/feature.wmv and it still worked. I could save it or stream it. It did only let me watch about 3/4 of it, but i did still see video. When i did save it i was able to get the whole video. (Mozilla based browsers can save the files with no problems)

And jpegs like this h**p://www.freedanniashe.com/fimages/dannipics2s.jpg still come up. I did not understand the Ctrl-F5 method, but i tried pressing it while bringing up the page.

You mentioned a scanning? Wouldn't a parent block block everything? And why do these jpegs still get through? I have had some users in the past exploit this jpeg loophole quite frequently.

There has been some mention of an pending update to Puresight. Does the new rev address these issues?

Thanks for your help. This is pressing for our owners use the work connection for their home access as well. The main reason we license puresight is to keep this content from their children.

MattB
mcb

Postby MattP » Jun 23 05 11:36 am

Hi Matt,

I've just spoken to the programmer in charge of PureSight and he said that this problem is related to a bug in it where PureSight doesn't scan the ban list properly. In saying that I am not able to download the video content but I do see the jpeg.

PureSight version 2 should solve this problem, at this time we don't have a release date lined up but we're not too far away.

In the meantime can I suggest that you add sites that you want to ban to the WWW proxy ban list? This should stop anything that isn't being picked up by the filter. If you set your filter to zero and remove the ban list entry for the danni ashe site, what is the percentage content that it finds for that site?
MattP
Qbik Staff

Return to PureSight for WinGate