Is Puresite Updating?

Forum for support for the PureSight for WinGate content filtering plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Is Puresite Updating?

Postby alyork » Jun 26 08 6:13 pm

I can't seem to find any evidence that the Puresite filter list are being updated. There are no dates later than the date I installed the product.

Where should I be looking?

Thanks - Al
alyork

Re: Is Puresite Updating?

Postby adrien » Aug 13 08 1:27 pm

Hi

The PureSight SDK doesn't give us any control over updates except for specifying whether they are enabled or not, and how many minutes apart.

I've queried PureSight on this, and they say they update the lists several times a month.

It should show in the file PureSight\Stlst\statlistdb. The date on that should show the last updated time.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby Hopkinsmailing » Aug 21 08 6:00 am

I looked in the Stlst folder and the two files (dat and idx) show a last modifed date of 9/2/04. Is that what everyone else has?

Rob Hopkins
Hopkinsmailing

Postby alyork » Aug 22 08 5:40 pm

Its the dates I have too.
alyork

Postby adrien » Sep 17 08 12:18 pm

these files aren't read-only or anything like that are they?

Also since the updater uses HTTP, and I believe uses the OS internet setting, since the update will be running in whatever account the WinGate service is running in, if this account doesn't have correct internet settings, there could be a problem - e.g. does that machine need to connect out through another proxy?

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby john gabriel » Oct 28 08 1:27 am

I am also having same problem with puresight, kaspersky is getting updated without any problem on the same pc.
john gabriel

Postby ujourdan » Nov 29 08 3:35 am

Same here. Same file date and absolutely no evidence that it is updating. Kasperki updates without a problem. Unless somebody can convince me that Puresight is actually working as designed, I won't renew my lisence.
Udo Jourdan
ujourdan

Postby adrien » Feb 05 09 11:54 am

Hi

Do you see any logs in HTTP relating to attempts to contact the puresight update servers?

The updater in PureSight works fine from what we have seen. It does rely on HTTP access to their server though, which could be blocked in various places depending on your setup.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby thomassa » Feb 05 09 1:02 pm

I read the posts regarding Puresite updating, and my files too in 'PureSight\Stlst\statlistdb' show a date stamp of 9/2/04? I have downloaded the new update (Dec 2008) thinking this would help but the file dates remain the same. Is there any update from Puresight on this as is does do what it says however I have had to add many sites manually.
thomassa

Postby ujourdan » Feb 17 09 6:57 am

I just searched through the HTTP logs for the past 4 months and there is not one reference to puresight at all.
Udo Jourdan
ujourdan

Postby adrien » Feb 17 09 4:17 pm

Hi

I'm happy to take a look with Remote Desktop or VNC if you'd like

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby ujourdan » Feb 18 09 12:49 am

adrien wrote:Hi

I'm happy to take a look with Remote Desktop or VNC if you'd like

Regards

Adrien

Adrien,

thank you for the offer. How do I get in touch with you about the logon information? VNC is installed on the system

..Udo
Udo Jourdan
ujourdan

Postby adrien » Feb 18 09 10:58 am

I sent you an email, let me know if you don't receive it.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby adrien » Feb 18 09 3:16 pm

Hi

when Puresight does updates, it downloads a file, and then merges it into the existing StatListDb.dat file.

depending on where it downloads it to, file/folder access permissions etc may come into play.

Does the account that WinGate is running in (SYSTEM) have full access to the temp folder and the PureSight folder?

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby john gabriel » Mar 10 09 9:18 pm

Yes, have full access to the folder - c:\program files\wingate\plugins\puresight\stlst, 2 files are there, statlistdb(dat file) and statlistdb.idx, both are dated 9/2/2004 2:24pm
john gabriel

Postby Hopkinsmailing » Mar 11 09 7:13 am

The latest version of PureSight is 2.0.3 and it works well for our small 12 user license. I also proxy from home through the server on a unqiue port (not 80) for double insurance behind Kasperskly parental content control (retail home version). Wingate Puresight does kick in quite often but I have about 55 manual classifications. What I like about PureSight is it will show a search page but block out offending images. Not a perfect science but still effective. We also use OpenDNS for DNS lookup instead of our ISP defaults. This is a free service. Details are at http://www.opendns.com and it's an easy setup. No software to install unless you're on dynamic IP.

Rob
Hopkinsmailing

Postby adrien » Mar 13 09 10:03 am

Hi

To date we haven't been able to reproduce this problem, but I'm now seeing it on my dev machine, so I'll track it down.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to PureSight for WinGate