7 does not work here

Discussion for beta versions of WinGate

7 does not work here

Postby Paradise » Jul 15 11 7:46 am

Hi,

i did a install of WG7 over WG6 on a Win7 x64.

During install i had this error:
error.png

and it was hanging during installation when the installer was saying to create icons. But after a reboot the new console showed up.
I chose to use the windows user permissions but the console showed nothing. So i did uninstall WG, cleaned the registry (ccleaner) and made a fresh WG7 installation.
The same error came up during installation but this time no hangs. But still the console was empty.
So i activated the admin account in Win7 a logged in with the admin to the WG7 console. But still empty.
So did i again a fresh WG7 installation (because i didn't see how to tell WG what user database to use without that) and this time i chose to use the WG user managment.
Using the WG user management and log in as admin showed me all the options in the console. But i didn't was able to make internet access working for the client pc's.
I also tried to import the WG6 registry settings, but then the WG-Engine does not start at all.

So after 2 hours i gave up and now i have WG6 running again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paradise

Re: 7 does not work here

Postby adrien » Jul 15 11 12:21 pm

Hi

Thanks for reporting this. Looks like there are several issues.

1. Driver install.

We have seen on some systems this happening. We've not been able to reliably reproduce it, but it's definitely on our radar. To work around it,

* open the properties of a network adapter
* click install
* Select "service"
* you should see Qbik or WinGate driver in there. Select that one and hit ok.

2. Hanging during installation. Was this Beta 3? We had an issue with the initial beta which could cause installs to take a long time (I saw up to 45 minutes) - relating to the installer software we use writing to registry. We wrote a custom module to write to registry to get around this in beta 2.

Do you run any other AV on that system? Is it in a VM? We've seen more issues with slowness with VMs + AV.

3. Empty console. This is a permissions thing. Since you're using the windows users and groups, you need to ensure the account you're logging into WinGate with is a member of your administrators group.

When you reinstalled, and selected the WinGate user database, then logged in as administrator, and couldn't get clients working, how were the clients trying to connect to the internet?

4. Importing settings from 6.

If you want to use your WinGate 6 settings, you need to import these into your registry before you install WinGate 7, or you can break the WinGate 7 install.

5. Resetting the user database provider

To reset the user database, you need to edit the registry, it's stored in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Qbik Software\WinGate\Users
delete the value called "ProviderUUID" and restart WinGate, it will then ask you to choose one when you log in.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby Paradise » Sep 23 11 1:27 am

Sorry for the delay.

Yes it was beta 3 and there is no AV and its not a VM.

First i need to make something clear for myself. If the users account is of type administrator like in this picture: http://0.tqn.com/d/pcsupport/1/0/A/C/-/ ... dows-7.jpg
does that mean he is in the administrators group? Or are this two different things? Cause its Windows 7 Home Premium and there is no mmc where i can check that.

Edit:
Ok, looks like that means the user is in the administrators group.
So i wonder why the console is empty if i use the windows user permissions.
Maybe a UAC thing?
Paradise

Postby adrien » Sep 23 11 4:55 pm

Hi

If you right-click my computer, choose manage, there should be a local users and groups branch of the tree. You can edit group membership etc there.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby Paradise » Sep 24 11 1:08 am

No, because its Win7 Home Premium and not Pro or Ultimate
verwaltung.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paradise

Postby adrien » Sep 24 11 1:37 am

Hi

Sorry, I now know that MS disables this for home premium! Doesn't look like there's a great option except to use command line to manage users and groups.

I would actually just recommend to use WinGate users and groups instead. You can then manage that in WinGate more easily, you still get NTLM so you get integrated auth for browser clients. You also get a few more functions than the OS gives you, such as ability to enable/disable group membership (rather than add / delete users to / from a group), and also the web admin gives you ability to set password and enable / disable accounts (from RC1 on).

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate Beta