Any NAT Controller - Policy

Discussion for beta versions of WinGate

Any NAT Controller - Policy

Postby sawi » Jul 20 11 5:07 pm

Hi Wingate 7 Team :)

I tried to explore policy in Wingate7
so, I go to Policy -> New Policy -> in source type ; I select Any NAT Controller -> Client Connect

after that I set like picture below :
in all users = MAC Address
so any user that their pc/laptop not in list will can't use/connect using NAT anymore (with or without forcedproxy ON)

so I just want to ask, is this idea is bad or have any bad impact to wingate performance or else?
sawi

Re: Any NAT Controller - Policy

Postby adrien » Jul 20 11 5:41 pm

Hi

basically the ENS policy works similar to WinGate 6, but uses the new policy framework. So both systems, the driver reports the new connection to the engine, and the engine checks policy, and if not allowed it tells the driver to terminate the connection.

So performance etc is basically the same as for WinGate 6. I would avoid putting a lot of time-consuming checks in this policy, but a simple MAC address lookup should be quick enough.

P.s. I think it only checks this policy for NAT, I'm not sure if intercepted connections go through this.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby sawi » Jul 20 11 7:52 pm

thanks Adren

if I have 1 datalist name "Client MAC Address" - used for list MAC addess all users in my place
then this datalist I used for www proxy service.
then I create new policy, then also use same list in this new policy.

is't will affected perfomance, ex: wingate will take time for service to read from same datalist?
or policy will que to read datalist?

or more than 1 policy can use the datalist at the same time?
sawi

Postby adrien » Jul 20 11 10:03 pm

Hi

the policies and lists are re-entrant, we use read locking, so many threads can evaluate the policy at the same time.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate Beta