SMTP Delivery Service: define Username/Password per Sender

Discussion for beta versions of WinGate

SMTP Delivery Service: define Username/Password per Sender

Postby PeterG » Oct 27 11 11:14 pm

Hi,
i want to use the WG Mail functionality to collect mails from different mailaccounts from more than on provider (eg. gmx, gmail,...) and store it locally in WG.
Another user should also get his mails from another accounts from the same providers.

The collection over the POP3 Collection Service works fine, but i can't use the SMTP delivery service for sending the mails.
Every User needs his own Username and Password to send the Mails over the external SMTP-Server of the providers.

In WG7 i can define Username and Password per remote SMTP Server, but all Accounts of one provider connects to the same server.
Is it possible to define this?
My workarround is, that the mailclients connects directly to the external SMTP-Server. But so, i can't use the advantaves of the mailserver (delivery is undependent of the client, Virusscan, Statistics,...)

Some other suggestions for improvements:
- the timeline is a nice thing to see the current activity, but i miss the amount of data, that is transferred on already open connections; if the connection is closed, the amount will be shown
- it wold be nice, to save mails, which were collected over the POP3 Collection Service, optionally in an defineable IMAP-folder of the Mailbox
- an option, to save sent mails in an defineable IMAP-Folder in the User Mailbox
Please excuse my not perfect English.
PeterG

Re: SMTP Delivery Service: define Username/Password per Send

Postby adrien » Oct 29 11 12:08 am

Hi Peter

WinGate doesn't really consider the sender address when forwarding a message, just the destination. So WinGate won't behave any differently for different senders, and that then applies to credentials used to deliver to a server.

Is there any chance your ISP will relax the requirement? E.g. they should be able to configure their server to allow mail from any address on one account.

in regard to your final suggestion about copying to the sent folder. Actually most IMAP clients do this already or can be configured to use a sent items folder on the IMAP server. This is more reliable than trying to associate an SMTP session for mail submission with an IMAP mailbox in WinGate. Thunderbird, Outlook, Outlook express, and mail for macintosh (and even iPhones) do it I know for sure.

I'll have a think about the other suggestions. We'd prefer not to have to update the database (increase database load) each time a session that forms part of an activity block is closed, but we may be able to update the data through to the UI.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby PeterG » Nov 07 11 1:59 am

Hi Adrien,

i think, the big mailproviders as gmail, gmx, hotmail, can't relax the requirement for the authentication.
If they do so, then a user can specify any mailadress as sender.
So, WG can't be used for such accounts, if there are more than one account per provider is used on one WG server.

There are many applications, which send logfiles, statistics,... to an mailadress. These can't store a copy in the Sent folder.
And if a user has configured the mailclient wrong, or the clients forgets the setting (Outlook has the bug, that, if the IMAP-Server is not availabe, it sometime looses the setting to store the Sent Mails in an IMAP-Folder). If the server makes this himself, this doesn't matter. My old mailserver (AVM KEN!), which i want to replace by Wingate7, has this feature (and also the one, to specify SMTP-Accounts per Sender).

It woulkd be nice, to have this on WG7.

Regards,
Peter
PeterG

Postby adrien » Nov 07 11 10:06 am

Mailboxes in WinGate are associated with user accounts.

Mail reception (SMTP server) is also associated with a user account, as is all client activity, so we could add an option into the mailbox settings (email tab for a user) to copy mail received for delivery from a particular account to a folder on that account. That would require your mail clients to either auth to the mail server, or be assumed by some credential rule.

Otherwise we'd need some way to map smtp return path to an account, and we don't currently have infrastructure for that, or place to put an configuration interface.

As for a user overriding delivery settings, that could also be done I guess. Gets quite messy though, we'd need to restructure our whole mail delivery system, as it's currently based around destination domains, and we aggregate all mail for a single destination into a single domain job. So it's not going to happen in the very near future sorry. It will take some time. We have had plans to move management of mail routing / tracing to a database (from the .rcp files) and this would allow this sort of function, but it's a fairly major re-write of mail which won't make it into WinGate 7.0. Maybe 7.1.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby PeterG » Nov 15 11 9:21 am

Hi Adrien,
it would be great to have the option, that sent mails will be stored in a folder of the authenticated user.

And the thing with the separtated authentications on the external SMTP-Servers is not urgent.
Most of the mails will be sent from my domain, and mails for all of these adresses can be sent over the same account.
And the other ones will be sent directly from the mail clients to the external SMTP-Server.

I have another suggestion for the mail: if i have a user, who has configured two mailaccounts (from different WG users), then all activity (Proxy,..) changes between this two accounts.
It would be fine to have an option, that the smtp and imap authentication is separatet from the other authentication.

Thanks for your support,
Peter
PeterG

Return to WinGate Beta