KAV for Wingate plug-in and SP2

Forum for support for the Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

KAV for Wingate plug-in and SP2

Postby han » Oct 19 04 8:52 am

Hi,

Just upgraded to XP SP2 and noticed that the KAV plugin is not recognized by the Windows Security Centre. Not a real big deal but thought I'd mention it. I've got two desktops running Kaspersky Anti Virus Personal which was recognized immedeately after upgrading to SP2. Maybe someone can look into this or advise?

Running Wingate 6.0.3 build 1005 with KAV 1.2

Han.
han

Postby Pascal » Oct 19 04 9:37 am

We've seen this as well.

There is a distinction between the two products though - Kaspersky Personal AntiVirus is designed to protect your computer by scanning email, files, etc. The plugin for WinGate is aimed at providing gateway level security for your network, by scanning incoming and outgoing traffic.

Although Kaspersky AV for WinGate does provide some file scanning abilities it's not a comprehensive file scanning solution (Yet)
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Re: KAV for Wingate plug-in and SP2

Postby Nev » Oct 20 04 2:40 pm

han wrote:Hi,

Just upgraded to XP SP2 and noticed that the KAV plugin is not recognized by the Windows Security Centre. Not a real big deal but thought I'd mention it. I've got two desktops running Kaspersky Anti Virus Personal which was recognized immedeately after upgrading to SP2. Maybe someone can look into this or advise?

Running Wingate 6.0.3 build 1005 with KAV 1.2

Han.

Hi Han & Pascal,

Some of my customers have asked why the Security centre does not allow the firewall to be enabled, what I don't tell them is that I have disabled it permanently by Group policy.

However to allay their concern, the moment SP2 is finalised I hit the option
"I have another security solution" or something similar, that way Firewall & Antivirus monitoring is disabled and the icon should not be present in the Notification area hence users don't stumble over it and ask questions!

The above assumes that either the machine with SP2 has Wingate and KAV installed or their gateway has those as a security layer.

If otherwise then the issues of the security centre would need to be addressed in some other way.

Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

sp2 recognition

Postby han » Oct 20 04 8:50 pm

Hi Pascal and Nev,

Followed the same strategy you suggested. This solved it for me. My only point is that I found it strange that in the case of Kaspersky Personal SP2 immedeately reports its onboard, whereas with KAV for Wingate it behavess its not there. Surely there must be some registry setting to make SP2 ' see ' the KAV plugin? Or is that too simple a thought :o)

Thanks for the replies,

Han.
han

Return to Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate