Unable to extend Kaspersky license

Forum for support for the Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Unable to extend Kaspersky license

Postby dsantachiara » May 30 05 8:47 pm

Dear Sirs,

We have just bought a new 1yr license for Kaspersky Antivirus (DTM srl) as the previous one expired.

I simply entered the new code in the Kaspersky plugin and it correctly reported that the license was going to expire on 30.05.2006

Unfortunately it seems this is not sufficient as I get the following error on startup:

"The license of Kaspersky antivirus has expired or is invalid. Kaspersky Antivirus functionality will not be available"

That is quite strange as in the License tab of the Kaspersky Antivirus windows I correctly see that the license that expires on 30.05.2006. But in the main window I see:

Engine version error
Status ready
Known pattern 0
Last updated error

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling KAV without success.

Please note that since we are using KAV we always got the following error that however did not prevent KAV to run:

Your Qbik issued license will expire before the Kaspersky AntiVirus Engine key-file. It is recommended that you update this key file with a newer one. Please visit http://www.qbik.com/products/kav/licensing.php

As we paid for the KAV license and we are without antivirus protection I would welcome if you could give us a quick feedback

Best regards

Davide Santachiara
DTM srl
dsantachiara

Postby MattP » May 31 05 12:24 pm

Hi Davide,

It sounds like your Kaspersky key has expired, this is different to the Kaspersky license that you've purchased from us.

You can download a new kaspersky key from our website, http://www.wingate.com/downloads/0009609D.key

Regards,

Matt
MattP
Qbik Staff

Unable to extend KAV license - Problems downloading from FTP

Postby dsantachiara » May 31 05 10:13 pm

Dear Matt,

This operation solved the problem with KAV (Wingate version is 5.2.3). Thanks

I must say that I had similar problems with the Puresight license we have just bought. Luckily I have seen in the forum a message from a Puresight user who had similar problems and suggested to remove some "license" keys in the registry. That hint solved my problem as well.

It seems that the license extension process is not so straightforward as it should be, anyhow now everything seems working properly

Going back to KAV I have also to report that there are some problems when downloading big files (i.e. >2 Mb) from FTP sites. Most of the times the download stops when the file actually has not been completely received (this is extremely true if the files is bigger than say 10 Mb). Same files downloaded from HTTP (when the web site allow this) do not show this problems. For the time being I have put the "ftp" word in the exception list of KAV so that when downloading from FTP sites the antivirus scanning is skipped. That completely solves the problem but of course it is not the best solution looking at security aspects. Are there some suggestions concerning this problem?

Kind Regards

Davide Santachiara
DTM srl
Italy
dsantachiara

Postby Pascal » Jun 01 05 8:27 am

Check in the appropriate proxies that you have drip-feeding turned on. It could potentially be that the client times out if it does not receive any data while it is being spooled. With drip feeding, it will be fed miniature chunks until the scanning process can be completed.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby dsantachiara » Jun 03 05 7:47 pm

Hello Pascal,

Is drip-feeding a feature of Wingate v6? On our version (v5.2.3) I cannot see it in the various menu of "FTP proxy" service.

Best regards

Davide
dsantachiara

Postby Pascal » Jun 07 05 3:02 pm

davide wrote:big files (i.e. >2 Mb) from FTP sites. Most of the times the download stops when the file actually has not been completely received (this is extremely true if the files is bigger than say 10 Mb). Same files downloaded from HTTP (when the

My apologies, when reading that it sounded as if it was an HTTP download. So, no that feature only applies to the HTTP proxy - each protocol has its own way of dealing with the inherent problems of data delivery vs user safety.

When you see this problem occuring, I assume data is being fed to the client, correct? Is there a relatively consistent time-frame in which this happens? Roughly 1/2/3/x minutes after the download started? If so it could be related to hash-entry timeouts, but I did not think that was problem evident in 5.2.3.

I've just gone through the release notes up to 6.0.4 and don't see anything that applies specifically to the problem - but as always, you can re-use your 5.2.3 license key with 6.0.4 and still get the benefits of the fixes and imrpovements that have gone into the new versions. It is possible that the "General fixes" categories might have included a fix for a scenario like that.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

FTP problem with KAV

Postby dsantachiara » Jun 10 05 6:39 am

Dear Pascal,

Yes, the problem of the FTP download that finishes even if the files has not been completely transferred (without errors) occurs after 3/5 minutes. Instead there are no problems if I download big files via http://

I have not installed 6.0.4 yet because as you can imagine when I have a very stable version I am reluctant to upgrade it. After all the fix is just to skip KAV checks on ftp sites. When I will upgrade to 6.0.4 I will let you know whether the problem still occurs.

Kind regards

Davide Santachiara
DTM srl
dsantachiara

Postby corcoran » Jun 30 05 12:32 am

ds.... whatcha.

i had the exact same issue with FTP'ing through 5.2.3.
it sounds like you had a pirate AV key, then went legit.. not that i know what that's like.

anyhoo -- i found that i had to totally remove KAV, then install it, and that massively improved the stability downloading stuff through FTP afterwards. it still wasn't perfect, but it was a damn sight better.

i had loads of trouble with email on the old version - have just upgraded to 6.0.4 or whatever we're on...
running Wingate 6.1 installed 09 November 05, running on windows 2003 server. Joy of Joys.
corcoran

Return to Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate