License-Confused and Mac support?

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

License-Confused and Mac support?

Postby khna » Oct 23 06 3:50 pm

Hi,
I finally got it working but am confused about licensing scheme.
I would like to install the Gateway on my server and allow three Laptops to access the VPN gateway.
What licenses do i need to purchase?
I think it is:
WinGate VPN 2.x gateway license for 3 computer LAN
but then again, do i need to purchase licenses for laptops aswell which needs to access the VPN gateway?

Also i need to know if Mac based Machines will also be able to connect to the VPN gateway?

Thank you for any help
khna

Postby genie » Oct 23 06 9:12 pm

With VPN you need the number of licenses which would cover the number of joiners - so if you have one VPN server and only one joiner (which connectes two networks together) you need two users. You do not need licenses for every computer behind Wingate.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby khna » Oct 23 06 10:44 pm

Thanks for your reply,
This means that i can buy two licences, install one as gateway on the server and the 2nd one can be installed on the three laptops to join the VPN server. Am i correct?

Please also inform me about Mac based machine support.
khna

Postby genie » Oct 24 06 10:45 am

You are correct - provided you do not run other license-consuming services, like proxy, mail, etc.

As of MAC support - Wingate itself runs on Windows systems only, but from the client side Macs will work just fine (as well as other IP-based networking systems). I run MacOS X, Solaris, PocketPC, Linux and FreeBSD behind Wingate VPN, for one.
genie
Qbik Staff

Mac installation files

Postby khna » Oct 29 06 2:28 pm

Thanks alot for the clarification. Can you please tell me where i can find th einstallation files for Mac? Or how i can run a VPN client on Mac?
khna

Postby genie » Oct 29 06 9:00 pm

You don't need any client software for Mac - just make sure that the Mac default gateway is set through Wingate machine.
genie
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN