VPN client blocks Remote Desktop and other computers

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

VPN client blocks Remote Desktop and other computers

Postby BiCanal » Jun 21 07 11:13 am

Hello,

I have used wingate VPN before with out problems but this time I don't know what is wrong.

I have installed on the office server(XP sp2) WinGate (to control internet access) and WinGate VPN. I created the vpn to host an exported the config file.

I installed Wingate VPN client on my laptop. I have added the 809 port UDP and TCP to windows firewall along with all the programs asociated with WinGate VPN.

I used to use a normal router connection but now I use my Nokia mobile phone. When the WinGate VPN client engine is running on the laptop:
1) Remote Desktop is blocked
2) I can connect to the WinGate VPN server, the computers are visible but no computer is available.

I can see the client establishing a tunnel to the WinGate Server

As soon as a stop the engine I can connect via Remote Desktop. It seems like a client issue but I can't figure it out. Please advise.
BiCanal

Postby jamesc » Jun 21 07 5:27 pm

I used to use a normal router connection but now I use my Nokia mobile phone

So would I be correct to say that the only thing that has changed is the internet connections; i.e. moving from Router to Nokia?
--> If that is the case then it may be an MTU issue; review the following:
http://forums.qbik.com/viewtopic.php?p=28340#28340

"1) Remote Desktop is blocked
2) I can connect to the WinGate VPN server, the computers are visible but no computer is available. "

1. Where are you trying to Remote Desktop too? A computer on the internet or a computer on the other side of the VPN?

2. a) The Windows Firewall is best disabled in the Windows Services for the sake of testing if you deem it safe.

2. b) Test by pinging ip addresses instead of NetBIOS names. Same with accessing shares:
(Windows) Start menu --> run --> ping x.x.x.x
(Windows) Start menu --> run --> ping bicanalpc
(Windows) Start menu --> run --> \\x.x.x.x
(Windows) Start menu --> run --> \\bicanalpc
*Where x.x.x.x is the ip address of a comptuer on the remote side of the VPN.

2. c) Are there any tunnel errors shown when you connect (in the WinGate VPN interface)?

2. d) On the laptop you can try creating a VPN to our test server - I will send you an email with the details.
The changes between version 6.x releases can be reviewed here:
http://www.wingate.com/showfaq.php?faqid=2

jamesc
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN