Qbik issued license

Forum for support for the Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Qbik issued license

Postby Stewart » Dec 19 03 4:57 am

I'm getting the following message:
Your Qbik issued license will expire before the Kaspersky AntiVirus Engine key-file. It is recommended that you update this key file with a newer one. Please visit http://www.qbik.com/products/kav/licensing.php

But the webpage doesn't seem to exist. What do I do?
Stewart

Re: Qbik issued license

Postby Pascal » Dec 21 03 12:20 pm

Stewart wrote:I'm getting the following message:
key-file. It is recommended that you update this key file with a newer one.

But the webpage doesn't seem to exist. What do I do?

There is a one year expiry period, the page should be up shortly. If you want more technical details about what it means, email me directly and I'll send you some more information.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby adrien » Dec 30 03 2:14 pm

Did you adjust your system clock?

There comes about an issue due to the fact that the Kaspersky API is licensed and controlled by a key file issued by Kaspersky Labs, and the plugin itself is controlled also by a license that we issue.

Long story as to why, but this has been the compromise we had to make to avoid the major logistical issues with issuing individual Kaspersky key files.

What happens is if the Kaspersky-issued key file expires before the Qbik issued license (which you paid for) then you may not get the benefit of your entire license period, since the overriding key file will expire first.

The Kaspersky-issued files have a window of 18 months from time of generation, so I find it difficult to understand why you would get this messge (which by the way is mixed up, the message should read that the Kaspersky file will expire before the Qbik license).

Have you copied around any .key files?

The one you should be using is the one that comes with the Kaspersky AV for WinGate download. If you previously had had a key file issued to you, then you should remove this file.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby msegal » Jan 20 04 8:18 am

Hi,

I'm having the same issue. Interestingly there are two key files. one is Kaspersky.key and the other is 0005BBDB.key. If you look in the files the readable text indicates one year. Both of these keys will expire before the Qbik key as follows:
0005BBDB.key 11/24/03
Kaspersky.key 12/27/03
Qbik 01/16/05

Is there a way to resolve this?

Thanks,

MS
msegal

Postby fredm » Jan 21 04 11:42 am

I am having the same problem with two key's for the AntiVirus.

One is the trial key.

I also notices the updated data file is still January 15.

Is this correct?
fredm

Postby adrien » Jan 22 04 12:59 pm

Kaspersky Labs say they update their data files daily, but there may have been some problem on their end.

As for the keys, there were a few changes to how we license Kaspersky AV. This was brought about due to the logistical issues around issuing keys that were generated in Russia by Kaspersky Labs. So now with version 1.2 of KAV for WinGate and later, we have our own key system and we ship a single standard Kaspersky-generated .KEY file.

So, you need to make sure that there is only one Kaspersky .KEY file, and that it is the one that ships with the latest version of KAV for WinGate.

Kaspersky Labs couldn't guarantee to us which key file would be used if there were multiple of them.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby msegal » Jan 22 04 1:52 pm

Are you then suggesting the I uninstall Kaspersky and then do a clean install and reapply the Qbik key?
msegal

Postby adrien » Jan 22 04 3:17 pm

If you've done an upgrade from a previous version of KAV for WG, then you should be able to simply

a) stop the WinGate engine
b) delete all the .KEY files except for "Kaspersky.key"
c) restart the WinGate engine.

this key file should show in the plugin license:advanced as a multi engine key.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby msegal » Jan 23 04 3:09 am

Thank you Adrien. That did it.
msegal

Postby fredm » Jan 28 04 7:22 am

Still getting the January 15 as the latest Antivirus Data File.
Is this a problem?

As for the twin keys: After deleting the trial key per instructions, the problem went away.

Thanks.
fredm

Postby Pascal » Jan 29 04 11:29 am

fredm wrote:Still getting the January 15 as the latest Antivirus Data File.
Is this a problem?

As for the twin keys: After deleting the trial key per instructions, the problem went away.

Thanks.

There are two conditions that need to be met before it will show the update of the data file. First, a new AV interface needs to be created (By a user browsing the web / email / ftp / etc.) Secondly, you need to go off-line and on-line in GateKeeper after this has happened so the updated information can be sent to GateKeeper.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby fredm » Jan 29 04 11:39 am

Thanks again.

Worked fine. Now shows the correct data file date.

Fred
fredm

Postby Pascal » Jan 29 04 11:45 am

fredm wrote:Worked fine. Now shows the correct data file date.

Excellent. One thing though, even though it doesn't show the correct date all the time, you can be sure that the AV engine is using the latest update. You can also check the syslog to see when a scheduled update has completed to check the last update time.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Return to Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate