Kapersky breaks youtube and others

Forum for support for the Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Kapersky breaks youtube and others

Postby ngrayson » Jul 22 10 3:46 am

Hi Guys,

Running latest wingate/kaspersky plugin on Xp machine.

I recently bought a panasonic player DMR-BS850 which has the capability to view online content such as youtube, Bild.de etc none of these worked and all showed an error bad content when I tried to view a video stream.

The only way I could get this workinging was to set the server sites in kaspersky over rides but I dont understand why this should be. Kasperksy is set up to still deliver files which have an unexpected failure in scanning so I can only assumme that kaspersky is modifying the streams in some way.

Does anyone have any clues as I'd like to have them both scanned and viewable.

Cheers
ngrayson

Re: Kapersky breaks youtube and others

Postby adrien » Jul 25 10 11:29 pm

HI

KAV needs the whole thing before it can scan it. Problem with videos (e.g. youtube) then is that you don't want to wait for the entire file to come down to WinGate, be scanned and then started to be sent to the client before the client sees anything.

So we do what we call drip-feeding, which is where we send 75% through as it's coming down.

Problem with this is that it messes with the rate you get data, and so can make videos not behave very well, especially if the rate youtube sends the video is designed to be the rate it's consumed.

Normally therefore we recommend not scanning them at all. In fact it's common for gateway-based AV to scan only a subset of content types, and they typically exclude video and streaming audio.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby bztips » Oct 09 10 4:24 am

adrien wrote:
Normally therefore we recommend not scanning them at all. In fact it's common for gateway-based AV to scan only a subset of content types, and they typically exclude video and streaming audio.

Regards

Adrien

So how do I set up Kaspersky to exlude video and streaming audio???

/Bill
bztips

Postby adrien » Oct 21 10 11:35 am

Hi Bill, sorry to take so long to get back to you.

KAV for WinGate 6 can only whitelist scanning on a request basis - e.g. based on the site / URL requested. At this stage the type of the resulting file is unknown.

So you'll need to add the youtube video server sites.

KAV for WinGate 7 allows you to whitelist on a content-type basis (or in fact almost any basis).

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate