The function failed. Unable to Initialize the Kaspersky

Forum for support for the Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

The function failed. Unable to Initialize the Kaspersky

Postby vanjer123 » Oct 01 10 4:44 pm

Hi everybody

I have a proxy server (Windows Server 2003 SP2) installed with a WinGate with Kaspersky AntiVirus 2.0.3 for winGate. We normally do manual antivirus definition update by downlading the definition from Kaspersky server using FTP client connection (FileZilla) to my laptop. Hence my laptop will serve as HTTP server in order for my proxy server to retrieve the update by downloading from http to my laptop update_ext folder. It always been successful and the "last updated" information in the configuration info shows the latest update date.

Recently on 29 September 2010, I tried to do as per normal. However, there is some odd things as written in the Configuration info:
Engine version: unknown
Status: The function failed. Unable to Initialize the Kaspersky
Known pattern: Database not available
last updated: Database not available
Engine: D:\Program Files\WinGate\Plugins\Kaspersky Antivir (truncated, i also don't know why it is truncated and cannot see the full string).
Database: Plugins\Kaspersky AntiVirus\Bases\

When I check the Bases folder, I saw that all files has been downloaded on that day. I tried to restart Qbik WinGate engine from service console but no avail.

Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.

Regards
vanjer123
vanjer123

Re: The function failed. Unable to Initialize the Kaspersky

Postby adrien » Oct 01 10 10:43 pm

Hi

Hi, it sounds like the bases has become corrupted. Did you try re-installing Kaspersky AV for WinGate to re-set the bases?

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby vanjer123 » Oct 04 10 10:50 pm

Hi adrien

Thanks for your reply.

If it is bases problem, can I just update the database definition from Kaspersky and download it again to server so it will be overwritten? What exactly this Bases means? is it the antivirus definition? Because whenever I try to download the content of update_ext from Kaspersky, I downloaded a lot of bases file. However, I can't try it now as I do not have access now.

And if re-installing is the only way to go, will it impact the WinGate operation e.g. do I need to reinstall the Wingate as well? I'm sorry because I just take over this system which I did not set up previously. if it does not involving wingate operation, am I right that re-installing the KAV will not have any impact to the client connection (i.e. no downtime) ?

Regards
vanjer123
vanjer123

Postby adrien » Oct 21 10 11:38 am

Hi

I think this was taken care of in a support ticket correct?

If not, in answer to your questions.

Bases is the AV signatures.
To reinstall KAV it's not necessary to reinstall WinGate, but it will of course have to stop and start the service since the KAV plugin is loaded as a DLL by WinGate, and WinGate needs to be stopped before it can be uninstalled / re-added.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate