External Proxy

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

External Proxy

Postby FriFra » Dec 05 17 1:49 pm

Im just evaluating WinGate as a family proxy and maked some progress with white listing urls, so the iphone to which i pushed the proxy settings can now use some apple services and a search engine for children, but blocks any other. I now would like to configure an external proxy which should be used for any non white listed page. Is this possible?
FriFra

Re: External Proxy

Postby adrien » Dec 07 17 4:18 pm

Hi

do you mean you want the clients to use a different proxy for access to different sites (this is possible with proxy auto-config files) or do you mean you want WinGate to connect via some other proxy based on which site is requested (also possible with policy).

regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby FriFra » Dec 26 17 5:13 am

I want to use whitelisting + a public extrenal proxy (proxy.kinderserver.eu)

All requests should be handeled by proxy.kinderserver.eu, but i want to configure some exceptions in wingate.
FriFra

Postby FriFra » Dec 27 17 12:40 pm

I mean to use an external proxy for pre filtering. Blocked sites from the external proxy should than be handeled by wingate (handle additional white lists)
FriFra

Postby adrien » Jan 06 18 10:33 am

Hi

it is possible to configure WinGate to use an upstream proxy or not for a request, based on the request itself, so you should be able to do this.

unless you have an enterprise license, you won't have access to the Connection Control policy item, but you can still change the connection in script, using an expression evaluator. Multiple statements can be evaluated in an expression evaluator separated by commas.

To set to not use the currently defined upstream proxy (which would be set on the proxy server config) you would use the statement

Session.ConnectUseProxy = false

and uncheck the option "Resolve expression into true / false result"

Since a client can use a connection to the proxy to make requests for multiple different sites, some of which may be whitelisted and some not, you may wish to also set back to true in the case where it doesn't match the whitelist.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate