This software messed up my machine

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

This software messed up my machine

Postby seephor » Dec 12 19 5:01 pm

I did the default installation while connected to my computer remotely through RDP and after installation and the restart. As soon as I started the software, my RDP connection was disconnected. In fact, all my port forwarders from my router stopped working. I played with the settings to see what could have happened and still no go. I said fine, let me uninstall it. I uninstalled it and restarted and none of my services are reachable any more. I checked the router to see if maybe something was changed through uPnP but nothing out of the ordinary, all my ports are still forwarding to my machine. I disabled windows firewall and still nothing. I notice a SonicWALL VPN Connection network adapter that is disabled. I'm not sure if this was installed with WinGate or not. If it is, why isn't it removed with the uninstall? The software is totally bloated and really unnecessarily complex and no warning to all my services being blocked upon installation. What the hell is this?
seephor

Re: This software messed up my machine

Postby adrien » Dec 24 19 10:55 am

Hi

The installer should have given you a warning about installing over RDP?

WinGate has a firewall built in, and if you install WinGate on a remote computer over an external interface, or if you don't use private IP addresses on your internal interface that you were connecting to RDP on, then WinGate may firewall connections after you install it and reboot. That's why the installer should warn.

WinGate doesn't do any UPnP so it won't have touched your router.

WinGate doesn't install any SonicWall components.

But it's possible that the SonicWall VPN driver conflicted with the WinGate Network Driver. There are several types of network adapter that don't play well with other drivers that operate at that network level. Firewalls, some AV products (that use network interception to scan network traffic), and VPN clients are the 3 main classes of software that cause these kind of problems.

Regards

Adrien de Croy
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby seephor » Dec 26 19 12:19 am

adrien wrote:Hi

The installer should have given you a warning about installing over RDP?

WinGate has a firewall built in, and if you install WinGate on a remote computer over an external interface, or if you don't use private IP addresses on your internal interface that you were connecting to RDP on, then WinGate may firewall connections after you install it and reboot. That's why the installer should warn.

WinGate doesn't do any UPnP so it won't have touched your router.

WinGate doesn't install any SonicWall components.

But it's possible that the SonicWall VPN driver conflicted with the WinGate Network Driver. There are several types of network adapter that don't play well with other drivers that operate at that network level. Firewalls, some AV products (that use network interception to scan network traffic), and VPN clients are the 3 main classes of software that cause these kind of problems.

Regards

Adrien de Croy

Thanks for addressing this issue and I apologize for the less-than-friendly message, I was very frustrated after getting knocked off my of RDP connection with no warning whatsoever. Uninstalling did seem to restore access so I was good. However, when I installed over RDP, it had no warnings that I could remember. after rebooting, as soon as I started Wingate, I was knocked off the connection without warning. There should be a warning about a firewall being installed. I didn't even know WinGate came with a firewall. All I wanted to try it for was a HTTP proxy server. It has way too many features in one application in my opinion.
seephor

Postby adrien » Dec 26 19 10:54 am

Hi

no problem, it can be frustrating to be locked out remotely.

You could try installing without the WinGate Network Driver if you only need a proxy. As for all the features - WinGate evolved over many years to be an all-purpose Internet Connection access management. Taking features out tends to be an unpopular move with customers.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate