Web Access Control classifiers undefined order

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Web Access Control classifiers undefined order

Postby dfyz » May 19 20 11:35 pm

Hello,

I've found the theme viewtopic.php?f=12&t=51769&hilit=url+category in which there are plans about multiple categories and the order of classifiers.
Has something changed from that time?

Because right now if somebody registered classifier which allows access, in the case, my blocking classifier called later can't block. And the order is not available for tuning.
And if there is a need for more flexible traffic management with several categories, black/white lists, etc., I see the only way to filter in the request handler.

Thanks!
dfyz

Re: Web Access Control classifiers undefined order

Postby adrien » May 22 20 1:16 pm

Hi

that post was in relation to rules that exist inside the manual classifier.

As for order of evaluation of classifiers themselves, that's a different issue.

Classifiers are called by the Web Access module prior to web access rule evaluation.

Order of classification is based on the order in which the classifiers were registered with the web activity RegisterClassifier API.

Do you need your classifier to be called prior to the manual classifier?

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby dfyz » May 25 20 11:52 pm

Hi

> Do you need your classifier to be called prior to the manual classifier?
No, my question is not about manual classifiers. There're two points about classifiers that can be registered via Web Activity API and calling order.

Could you please clarify the information about the order of registration - if some classifier was registered before mine and has returned some category after it was called for a site then my classifier will not be called for this site?

Also, my classifier can classify a site into multiple categories. I have used WebActivityRegisterClassifier to register it and now I want to use the WebActivityClassify callback to return the categories. But this callback allows me to return only one category at the time. So, how can I return multiple categories from my classifier if it's possible?

Thanks.
dfyz

Postby adrien » May 26 20 12:14 am

Hi

since it is a single classification system, it doesn't call another classifier if a prior one returns a classification.

Initially this was so that the manual classifier could override the results of another classifier (at that time PureSight).

Do you expect to get lots of conflicts with other classifiers? If someone makes a manual classification rule, surely that is an administrative decision?

Also for AV I'm wondering if a web site classifier is the best option. Is this to return cached results? There may be another way. It's possible to get access to the requests made at several points in the processing. An HTTP Filter will receive these, as will an Event processor. The Web Access framework which calls the web classifiers, is actually itself an HTTP filter. Registration of HTTP filters is more deterministic, as you can provide a priority value. This is so that for example AV can happen prior to caching.

Regards

Adrien de Croy
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby dfyz » May 26 20 1:43 am

Yes, we look towards HTTP filters, but since functionalities of filters and web access control match a bit, we decided to explore this feature.

Thank you for quick response.
dfyz

Postby adrien » May 26 20 11:31 am

The main thing that HTTP filters gives you is access to payload, ability to send a response directly to a client, alter requests etc as well as set priority / order of evaluation (within limits).

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate