Using Wingate with VPN masking service for internet access

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Using Wingate with VPN masking service for internet access

Postby ChadRA » Jun 26 20 5:03 am

Hi,

Hopefully that subject doesn't confuse things too much since I know there is a Wingate VPN service to allow connecting to the network where the Wingate server is, but my question is about using one of those VPN services which effectively masks outgoing internet traffic to prevent ISPs and others from seeing the actual internet traffic and destinations.
Can a VPN service like this (for example, Vipre Internet Shield VPN) be used on the Wingate machine to tunnel all internet traffic from my location? Or do VPN services like this need to be used on a per device basis?
I use a variety of devices on my network based on Windows, Linux, and custom firmware IoT devices so there does not seem to be any single "silver bullet" for the device level VPN masking.

Thanks,
Chad.
ChadRA

Re: Using Wingate with VPN masking service for internet acce

Postby adrien » Jun 30 20 10:16 am

Hi

It should be possible to use a VPN client on the WinGate computer and get WinGate to tunnel traffic through. It typically comes down to routing configuration as to how this works.

Regards

Adrien de Croy
adrien
Qbik Staff

Re: Using Wingate with VPN masking service for internet acce

Postby ChadRA » Jun 30 20 10:51 am

Hi Adrien,

As always, I appreciate your response.
One day when I'm feeling brave enough I may give this a try, it may not seem like that big of a deal to a "guru" like you... but I know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to networks & routing. :-)

Thanks,
Chad.
ChadRA

Return to WinGate